martedì 21 agosto 2007

insults, abuse and tear gas



I remember the bygone days when I was in junior high school. We were not easy but we were more respectful to the teachers compared to what I have experienced in the last couple of weeks.I've had insults, intense verbal abuse and tear gas. The latest was yesterday, It happened in between two classes so basically we don't know who really did it. We have a deputy of the head of the school as useful as f**ck, he was going to check all the bags... at the end of the day, nothing had been done. There is a growing suspicion on the 4eme D who would have disturbed their own class on purpose to study less... See our their minds work ! I had to evacuate the classroom, the gas was really irritating all of us. So, I ended up in the Music room where they of course had fun with the drums, the piano until I had to ask them to stop because it was time to get on with our lesson. Any single second during which they will not actually expand their knowledge is a gain for them. You might need to read that twice because I think I rushed it. Yes, for them knowledge is not to have. Now I could go on and argue that our nice friend Rudyard Kipling was and was not right. Knowledge was whose burden, The White's Man's one or the native's ?In the school where I teach, knowledge is not power because the education ideology is no longer based on : "if you succeed well at school, you will be rich". Why bother learning the Pythagoras theorem, irregular verbs, chemistry formulas, unpronouncable names in never usable languages, when they see that success can be defined otherwise ?Success i was told (and...even in my American history classes) comes from HARD WORK.What??? work ??? combined to hard??? no, no, no, no, no...Sit down, listen because we have great news for you lot. You did not get it, did you ? Appear on TV, be more than a Warholian, kiss, shag in front of millions of people, pretend that you are the most beautiful, the best.Stop staring, get your fat arse away from this desk, Madam...Be a topmodel, get creams and shampoos which will make you even uglier than what you were in the first place.Hmmmm, yes but, don't you think that after a decade (if you really make it longer than six months...), you will be anonymous again, lost in the crowd, not recognised, all wrinkly because of the make-up and the suntan. You will die of skin cancer, unless it is your liver which will fail you because it can't even stand sparkling water because it still thinks it is champagne. No thank you very much, I have a life, a husband, a little boy, a house, a cat, my Deroxat every morning, I'll get paid whenever the Ministry of Education decides to program better their accountancy books.You see, you also have an employment problem. Well, I never denied that but I am quite happy with this teaching job. Teaching you lot, things which you think are useless is pleasant. I get mail from my pupils, I get to check if my nose operation was of any use, I play with fake plastic fruits and vegetables, I spend days writing nice notes on blank papers, I do babysitting and I GET PAID for all that, is that not great??I love that job !

20 commenti:

neciwremy ha detto...

I love that job !Just for a moment, you had me thinking this was a rant :)I'd be very surprised to read about tear gas and such, if I hadn't already been informed by barocline. Why don't you send your kids to do development work in Iraq? That would solve two problems.

perdigaoperdeuapena14 ha detto...

It is the true reality...The letters I get are letter of apologies. The tear gas was real and made me choke for a good hour. I do "play" with fake plastic fruits and veg to teach them, food vocab and I stay awake until indecent wee hours to correct and mark papers worth less than primary level.In addition to all that, they were telling me yesterday that they did not need to learn English but Arabic. For sure in Iraq, they would practice their Arabic language skills and throwing tear gas. Some of my students asked to have English speaking penpals, so I was quite prepared to get in touch with an English school and set an exchange of some kind. Now I could also develop linguistic journeys to Iraq, the flight tickets should be cheap these days...

babylotusflower ha detto...

There is a curriculum that needs to be followed but they are clearly behind. Allah Akbar is all that they need.What you suggest is too difficult grammar points...It's, They will, there are, pass me...The present simple, the future tense, the imperative form ?!, they can barely write MY NAME IS properly !How could they take in all that let alone the adverbs, the pronouns and so on ...Barocline has a very witty image about them, they are like computer disks, every now and then they reformat themselves...hehehe...*sighs*

cleb1elasusdn0 ha detto...

tear gas eh? is that the latest craze?

nashdima ha detto...

, every now and then they reformat themselves...every two seconds - and that's being optimistic.

mikluha ha detto...

Don't you think the Iraki people has suffered enough already ? :D

readmemyeyes ha detto...

Well, these crazes are like waves, they come and go. Where I worked three years ago they'd use tear gas so often I'd stopped wearing my contact lenses.

trainingiiogdanditipsiresources77 ha detto...

You talk about grammar and writing. I'm talking about brainless ready-to-use slogans:Q: How are you doing?Good -> A: Allah is great!Bad -> A: The Zionists have stolen my camel!Q: What would you like to become when you gro up:A: Show me the way to the Mother of all Battles, pleaseAnd so on.Don't think about explanations. That's a totally irrelevant concept!

emailakia89 ha detto...

Reformatting a brain size hard disk in two seconds requires a lot of efficiency though.

thecovenahtwitnyou12 ha detto...

Before barocline beats me to it, I know 'grow' needs a 'w' :)

frisilvaia ha detto...

I love that job !Just for a moment, you had me thinking this was a rant :)I'd be very surprised to read about tear gas and such, if I hadn't already been informed by barocline. Why don't you send your kids to do development work in Iraq? That would solve two problems.

ravbeeat47 ha detto...

It is the true reality...The letters I get are letter of apologies. The tear gas was real and made me choke for a good hour. I do "play" with fake plastic fruits and veg to teach them, food vocab and I stay awake until indecent wee hours to correct and mark papers worth less than primary level.In addition to all that, they were telling me yesterday that they did not need to learn English but Arabic. For sure in Iraq, they would practice their Arabic language skills and throwing tear gas. Some of my students asked to have English speaking penpals, so I was quite prepared to get in touch with an English school and set an exchange of some kind. Now I could also develop linguistic journeys to Iraq, the flight tickets should be cheap these days...

desaparezcaaq0i7u ha detto...

food vocabSee, your approach is wrong. Clearly a desert culture has no interest in fruit and vegetables. If you want to draw their attention, you should teach them useful phrases like:- Americans? There are no Americans here!- They will burn in their tanks!- It's all a Zionist conspiracy!- Ahmed, pass me the mustard gas, please. (with its unseparable reply: "We have no mustard gas, you son of an imperialist camel!")- Excuse me, could you show me the way to the Mother of all Battles?Try it. I bet it will be a roaring success :)

trnnsaegdnrueity ha detto...

There is a curriculum that needs to be followed but they are clearly behind. Allah Akbar is all that they need.What you suggest is too difficult grammar points...It's, They will, there are, pass me...The present simple, the future tense, the imperative form ?!, they can barely write MY NAME IS properly !How could they take in all that let alone the adverbs, the pronouns and so on ...Barocline has a very witty image about them, they are like computer disks, every now and then they reformat themselves...hehehe...*sighs*

momiduma ha detto...

tear gas eh? is that the latest craze?

nicolaich13 ha detto...

, every now and then they reformat themselves...every two seconds - and that's being optimistic.

alkins ha detto...

Don't you think the Iraki people has suffered enough already ? :D

dachbodenluke ha detto...

Well, these crazes are like waves, they come and go. Where I worked three years ago they'd use tear gas so often I'd stopped wearing my contact lenses.

lhetadiesway59 ha detto...

Reformatting a brain size hard disk in two seconds requires a lot of efficiency though.

gsld7ipo1t ha detto...

Before barocline beats me to it, I know 'grow' needs a 'w' :)